About This Content
As rare as it is menacing-looking, the YF-23 is an experimental single-seat stealth fighter aircraft built for the USAF in 1989 as a technology testbed and demonstrator.
In the 1980s, US defence contractors were exploring new technologies and designs to produce the next generation of inherently stealthy fighter aircraft, and the YF-23 was the product of work done by Northrop in pursuit of this aim. Certain elements of the design are reflected in more recently-adopted fighter designs, with distinctive trapezoidal wings and steeply canted rear stabilisers attached to a wide fuselage with distinctive square-section jet exhausts.
Though performance data for the YF-23 remains classified, it is believed that one example achieved Mach 1.8 during the programme’s total 65 hour test time. Two YF-23s were built, being named Gray Ghost and Black Widow in reference to their pale grey and jet black paint schemes respectively.
Very few people are aware of the true capabilities of the YF-23, so flying the FSX: Steam Edition version is an incredibly unique experience!Features
- black Widow and Gray Ghost Paint Schemes
- simulated Fly-by-wire Control
- pav-1 and Pav-2 Engine Configurations
- OS: Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or later
- Processor: 2.0 Ghz or higher (single core)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher (Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required)
- DirectX: Version 9.0
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Additional Notes: Broadband internet connection required for multiplayer features