About This Software
The Source Filmmaker (SFM) is the movie-making tool built and used by us here at Valve to make movies inside the Source game engine. Because the SFM uses the same assets as the game, anything that exists in the game can be used in the movie, and vice versa. By utilizing the hardware rendering power of a modern gaming PC, the SFM allows storytellers to work in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get environment so they can iterate in the context of what it will feel like for the final audience.
To get started, just click the button above to install. The SFM includes all the base game assets from Team Fortress 2 along with assets from some of the first “Meet the Team” short films.Resources
Once you’re up and running, here are some general resources for finding help and learning how to get the most out of the Source Filmmaker.
- Official Wiki Documentation
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Video Tutorials
- Community Discussions
- How to file bug reports
- OS: Windows 7 / Vista (Windows 7 64 bit suggested)
- Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)
- Memory: 2GB (4 GB suggested)
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 200 series card or better, or AMD Radeon 3000 series or better (NVIDIA GeForce 400 series or AMD Radeon 5000 series preferred)
- Monitor: 1366 x 768 (1920 x 1080 suggested)
- Hard Drive: At least 15 GB of Space
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible USB headset with mic (suggested)