About This Content
One of the most short-lived electric locomotives for the Northeast Corridor – the Amtrak HHP-8 comes to Train Simulator for the stunning new NEC: New York-New Haven route.
The 8,000hp, twin-cab electric HHP-8 (‘High Horse Power 8000’) was manufactured by a consortium of Bombardier Transportation and Alstom for use by Amtrak and the Maryland Area Regional Commuter (MARC) system. Ordered in 1999, 15 locomotives were produced for Amtrak and six for MARC.
Similar in external style to the Acela, the HHP-8 was designed to operate as a true locomotive to haul conventional passenger cars, as a replacement for Amtrak’s GE E60s and supplement the ageing EMD AEM-7s. Ironically, their lack of reliability and high maintenance costs meant the fleet was phased out just 10 years later, being replaced by the more modern and efficient ACS-64.
The locomotive is capable of running on three different power supplies seen on the Northeast Corridor from dual pantographs, picking up power from 12.5Kv 25 Hz AC catenary, 12.5Kv 60Hz AC catenary and 25 kV 60Hz AC catenary. It also has a top design speed of 135mph (217 km/h) but is actually limited in service to FRA Tier 1 standards, operating up to 125mph (201 km/h).
The HHP-8 for Train Simulator is available in Amtrak’s renowned blue and silver livery, and features cruise control, in-cab signalling display with driver vigilance, switchable display screens, cab lights, flashing ditch lights and pantograph select. Also included are Amfleet I passenger cars.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Amtrak HHP-8 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the NEC: New York-New Haven route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).Scenarios
Four scenarios for the NEC: New York-New Haven route:
- Simple Controls Tutorial: HHP-8 Simple Controls
- Expert Controls Tutorial: HHP-8 Expert Controls
- Northeast Regional
- Vermonter Rescue
More scenarios are available on Steam Workshop online and in-game. Train Simulator’s Steam Workshop scenarios are free and easy to download, adding many more hours of exciting gameplay. With scenarios being added daily, why don’t you check it out now!
Click here for Steam Workshop scenarios.Key Features
- HHP-8 in Amtrak blue and silver livery
- Cruise control
- In-cab signalling display
- Switchable display screens
- Cab lights
- Flashing ditch lights
- Driver vigilance
- Pantograph select
- Amfleet I passenger cars
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the NEC: New York-New Haven route
- Download size: 152mb
- OS: Windows® Vista / 7 / 8
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 6 GB available space
- Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Additional Notes: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos