About This Content
The ubiquitous Amtrak P42 DC is one of the most modern and fuel efficient diesel locomotive on the North American rail network, and is now available for Train Simulator.
Most notable for its streamlined, low profile single carbody design, the P42 DC is unique among North American diesel-electric locomotives because of its low height, making it the only Amtrak diesel locomotive that meets clearance requirements on all Amtrak routes. Built between 1992 and 2001, the P42 DC is part of General Electric’s Genesis series, which also includes the P40DC and P32AC-DM.
With a top speed of 110mph (177 km/h), the locomotive is used primary on most of Amtrak’s long haul and high speed rails services outside of the Northeast Corridor, including Amtrak’s famous ‘Empire Builder’ passenger service between Chicago, Portland and Seattle. The service first ran in 1929 and is one of Amtrak’s premier services, running across the picturesque Rocky Mountains.
The General Electric P42 DC for Train Simulator is available in Amtrak’s Phase III ‘40th anniversary’ and Phase V liveries, accompanied by a full set of ‘Empire Builder’ Superliner double-decker passenger coaches in Amtrak Phase III and Phase IVb liveries. The locomotive also features flashing crossing lights, working cab lights, opening windows and working sun shades.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the Amtrak P42 DC ‘Empire Builder’ on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Marias Pass route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).Scenarios
Four scenarios for the Marias Pass route:
- Simple Controls Training: P42 Empire Builder
- Expert Controls Training: P42 Empire Builder
- Empire Builder: Part 1
- Empire Builder: Part 2
More scenarios are available on Steam Workshop online and in-game. Train Simulator’s Steam Workshop scenarios are free and easy to download, adding many more hours of exciting gameplay. With scenarios being added daily, why don’t you check it out now!
Click here for Steam Workshop scenarios.Key Features
- GE P42 DC in Amtrak Phase III and Phase V liveries
- Full ‘Empire Builder’ Superliner passenger coaches in Phase III and Phase IVb liveries
- Flashing crossing lights
- Working cab lights
- Working sun shades
- Opening windows
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Marias Pass route
- Download size: 210mb
- OS: Windows® Vista / 7 / 8
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512 MB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 6 GB available space
- Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Additional Notes: Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos