About This Content
The fans’ favourite EMD SD40-2 is now available for Train Simulator, bringing this classic model to the US locomotive stable in two striking liveries –BNSF Heritage and Burlington Northern.
More than 4,000 SD40-2 models were built by General Motors’ Electro-Motive Division between 1972 and 1989 as part of the company’s Dash 2 series and an upgrade from the original SD40. The new version included an updated 3,000 horsepower, turbocharged 16 cylinder diesel-electric engine, with some external updates including longer front and rear ‘porches’ and an additional roof-mounted radiator grill.
The model was capable of a 65mph top speed with standard fitted gearing and several variations appeared during its 17 year build history, including the SD40T-2 with tunnel motor, SD20-2W with a four window safety cab, a high nose version and even a narrow gauge version, the BB40-2. General Motors also used the SD40-2 chassis to build the Class 59 in the UK, which was fitted with a unique body design specifically for European railway markets.
The EMD SD40-2 for Train Simulator is available in BNSF pre and post-2005 heritage liveries, and Burlington Northern pre and post-merger liveries. Features of the model include cab lighting, step lights and dynamic braking.
The locomotive is also Quick Drive compatible, giving you the freedom to drive the EMD SD40-2 on any Quick Drive enabled route for Train Simulator, such as those available through Steam. Also included are scenarios specifically for the Marias Pass route (available separately and required to play these scenarios).Scenarios
Four scenarios for the Marias Pass route:
- Burlington Northern Train 206
- Over the Top
- The Long Climb
- Toil and Trouble
More scenarios are available on Steam Workshop online and in-game. Train Simulator’s Steam Workshop scenarios are free and easy to download, adding many more hours of exciting gameplay. With scenarios being added daily, why don’t you check it out now!
Click here for Steam Workshop scenarios.Key Features
- EMD SD40-2 in BNSF Heritage and Burlington Northern (pre and post-merger) liveries
- Freight cars including 50ft Boxcars, Tie Down Flat Cars, Coal Hoppers, Bay Covered Hoppers, and 3 Bay Hoppers
- Dynamic braking, cab lighting and step lights
- Quick Drive compatible
- Scenarios for the Marias Pass route
- Download size: 67mb
- OS:Windows® Vista / 7 / 8
- Processor:Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory:2 GB RAM
- Graphics:512 MB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- Hard Drive:6 GB HD space
- Sound:Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
- Additional:Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos