About This Content
The Union Pacific Railroad’s Big Boy 4-8-8-4 steam locomotive is undoubtedly the beast of American railroading history, and this epitome of heavy haulage is now available for Train Simulator with a number of challenging scenarios for the Sherman Hill route.
In the early 1940s, Union Pacific Railroad (UP) sought to build a locomotive capable of hauling heavy freight trains across Wyoming without the need for double heading and helper operations over the 1.55% gradient of Sherman Hill and the Wasatch mountain region. Adaptations of the previous Challenger Class locomotives showed that larger fireboxes, longer boilers and more driving wheels achieved their aims. What followed was the monster Big Boy with its articulated wheel configuration, huge water tank and 68in (173cm) driving wheels.
In 1941, Alco Locomotive Works delivered 20 Big Boys and another five were put into service in 1944. Although rarely run at such a speed, the Big Boy was capable of an 80mph top speed and towards the end of their life were regularly hauling more than 4,000 tons up the Wasatch gradient unassisted. The last revenue service by a Big Boy was in July 1959 and eight of the original 25 locomotives have been preserved in the USA.
The Union Pacific Big Boy V2.0 is available for Train Simulator in the famous UP black livery with accurate locomotive simulation, detailed cab interior, full TSX effects, and new smoke and steam particle emitters.
The Sherman Hills Add-On (available separately) is required to play the scenarios included with this Add-On.Scenarios
Five scenarios for the Sherman Hill route:
- Big Boy Introduction
- Big Boy Local Work Granite to Cheyenne
- Big Boy on Sherman Hill Part 1
- Big Boy on Sherman Hill Part 2
- Big Boy working Laramie Cement
More scenarios are available on Steam Workshop online and in-game. Train Simulator’s Steam Workshop scenarios are free and easy to download, adding many more hours of exciting gameplay. With scenarios being added daily, why don’t you check it out now!
Click here for Steam Workshop scenarios.Key Features
- Union Pacific Big Boy in UP black livery
- Fully detailed cab interior with working gauges, levers and dials, with new textures
- Enhanced TSX effects, smoke and steam particle emitters
- Quick Drive compatible
- OS:Windows® Vista / 7 / 8
- Processor:Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory:2 GB RAM
- Graphics:512 MB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- Hard Drive:6 GB HD space
- Sound:Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
- Additional:Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos