About This Content
The mighty Union Pacific Challenger 4-6-6-4 is now available for Train Simulator, featuring four exciting and challenging scenarios specially created for the Sherman Hill route.
The stiff gradients of the Wasatch Mountains demanded newer, more powerful and efficient locomotives, leading to Union Pacific’s chief engineers to design a 4-6-6-4 steam locomotive that utilised two sets of driving wheels each with their own steam cylinders. The Challenger’s impressive articulated wheel arrangement made it one of the most successful large steam locomotive designs ever developed and was considered to be one of the most technologically advanced of its kind, providing both high horsepower and efficient operations.
Their mammoth weight made the Challenger a regular sight on UP’s heavy mountainous freight routes but they were also put into service on the occasional passenger service through mountain territories to California and Oregon. In total, 252 Challengers were built between 1936 and 1943 by the American Locomotive Company and Baldwin Locomotive Works, just less than half for UP.
The Union Pacific Challenger V2.0 for Train Simulator is available in two liveries – the famous Union Pacific black livery and Union Pacific lined grey livery. Key features include TSX effects, new smoke and steam particle emitters, and enhanced cab interior.
The Sherman Hills Add-On (available separately) is required to play the scenarios included with this Add-On.Scenarios
Four scenarios for the Sherman Hill route:
- Challenger Intro Run
- Challenger on Sherman Hill Cheyenne to Laramie
- Challenger Working at Wycon
- Challenger Working the BNSF Stub
More scenarios are available on Steam Workshop online and in-game. Train Simulator’s Steam Workshop scenarios are free and easy to download, adding many more hours of exciting gameplay. With scenarios being added daily, why don’t you check it out now!
Click here for Steam Workshop scenarios.Key Features
- Union Pacific Challenger in Union Pacific black and lined grey liveries
- Realistic cab interior and sounds
- Improved locomotive physics and TSX effects
- Realistic raindrops and correct headlight illumination
- New smoke and steam particle emitters
- Quick Drive compatible
- OS:Windows® Vista / 7 / 8
- Processor:Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
- Memory:2 GB RAM
- Graphics:512 MB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
- Hard Drive:6 GB HD space
- Sound:Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
- Additional:Quicktime Player is required for playing the videos